My Brother Joe and My Other brother
Joe
One of my favorite comedy bits was the three brothers on the
Bob Newhart Show. Their entrance always started with the first
one saying, “This is my brother Larry and my other brother Larry.” I was surprised to find a similar situation
in my own family.
Naming conventions vary among different ethnic groups. Traditional Italian families tend to follow a
particular formula for naming children after grandparents. It is also common for Italian parents who
lose a child to name a subsequent child with that same name.
However, as I was researching my father’s Sicilian family I
came upon an unusual situation. My
grandfather, Pietro Lumia came to America about 1891. His brother Giuseppe came a bit later and
they eventually settled in Trenton, New Jersey to raise their families. Their father was Giuseppe Lumia of Villalba,
Sicily. They had many cousins in New York
City. These cousins were descendants of many
brothers and a sister. However, in an
Italian family “cousin” can be a vague term.
In our family, no one knew exactly how the New York cousins were related
to our New Jersey branch.
I corresponded with one of them, Petrina Lumia Robustello, who told me that she was
the daughter, granddaughter and great-granddaughter of a Joe Lumia. I knew that Joe was a very common family
name. My father, Joe Lumia, had so many
“cousins” named Joe that their place of residence or their profession was added
to their name to help differentiate them. There was Joe Lumia, the priest, Joe
Lumia, Cliffside and two Joe Lumias in Trenton.
Both Joe Lumia-Trenton were married to women named Rose. Their differentiation was especially difficult. If Petrina was correct, she was also a
descendant of my great-grandfather, Giuseppe Lumia. However, I knew this was wrong. She must be descendant from another Giuseppe
Lumia, possibly a cousin of my great-grandfather.
Since I had success using the Family History Library to trace
my mother’s and my mother-in-law’s families in Calabria, I started reviewing
the tapes from Villalba. It was easy to
find my grandfather; Pietro was born on December 18,
1863. His parents were Giuseppe
Lumia and Alfonsina Scarlota who were married February
13, 1858. This matched the
information I already knew. I also found
several of grandfather’s siblings.
During the 15 years or so, that Alfonsina and Giuseppe had
children another couple had children, whom I realized were the older generation
of the New York cousins. This other
couple was Giuseppe Lumia and Maria Giuseppe Annaloro. Various birth records listed this Giuseppe as
“Maggiore.” His father was Pietro
Lumia. The problem was that my
great-grandfather was also the son of Pietro Lumia. Could the two Giuseppe Lumias be brothers? More likely, they were cousins. Since their fathers would also be cousins,
the relationship to the New York branch was even more distant.
On Giuseppe and Alfonsina’s (my great-grandparents’)
marriage record, Giuseppe’s parents were listed Pietro Lumia and Vincenza
Mendola. Giuseppe was born in about 1832. I found his birth record for September18, 1832. As I looked for some of his siblings, I
found another Giuseppe who was born on
September 3, 1830. His parents
were also Pietro Lumia and Vincenza Mendola.
There were two brothers named Giuseppe!
Subsequent records sometimes differentiated them with the titles
Maggiore and Minore. There was no death
record of a Giuseppe Lumia between 1830 and 1832.
I do not know why Pietro and Vincenza named their two sons
Giuseppe. Pietro’s father was Nicolo
Lumia and Vincenza’s father was Vincenzo Mendola. Finding the two Giuseppes verified Petrina’s
claim about her ancestors. She was the
daughter, granddaughter and great-granddaughter of a Joe Lumia. He was Giuseppe Maggiore. Since the two Giuseppes were brothers, the
elders in New York were my grandfather’s first cousins and their children,
including all the Joe Lumias were second cousins. The relationship was much closer than anyone
really knew.
I roared when the three brothers entered each week on the Bob Newhart Show. Having two brothers with the same name was ridiculous! Two brothers named “Larry.” Well, in my family, there were two brothers
named Joe! (Actually, my
great-grandmother, Alfonsina Scarlata, also had 2 brothers named Joe. Again they were differentiated by the
addition of maggiore or minore to their names.)
No comments:
Post a Comment