Maria Raffaela

Maria Raffaela
Great-Grandmom

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Recent Theater

This blog is called artsandgenes and is not limited to painting.  The dramatic arts have been very important to me all my life.  I saw my first play on Broadway at age 12 and have been hooked ever since.  We have been going to McCarter for close to 30 years and just started going to the George St last year.  We saw "Red" recently at George St and it was excellent.  It is a stimulating intelligent play and was well performed.  I really enjoyed listening to the dialogue--a discussion of modern art and the life of one of its creators.
McCarter did a fascinating play about colonial Rhodesia, of which I knew nothing.  It was filled with the clash of the native culture and imported Christianity of the white man who looked down on the natives, even the ones who converted and were very well educated.  Again it was very well done.
Good theater is like a tonic for the mind and the spirit.  It nourishes both or should.  I'm not deprecating comedies.  They are great fun.  Brian Bedford's production of "The Importance of Being Ernest" was brilliant and perfectly done.  It was joinful to watch him as Lady Bracknell.  Then Wilde's play is full of great lines that poke fun at society even 120 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment