Its 2 days before Christmas. I am making a cake for tomorrow evening which we are spending at Peg and Joe's. She seems willing to take over the Christmas Eve festivities since Mom King died. Just wrapped some of the presents for the little ones for tomorrow.
Its been 3 months since Sandy and we are fortunately working with 3 contractors named Chris. Chris, the electrician has basically finished repairing the electrical stuff. Chris the heater man said he should be able to install a new furnace and hot water heater in Jan. Chris, the general contractor has started with insulation. He took all the stuff down as soon as he had acess to the Island. Now its rebuilding and getting the proper inspections. Hopefully, we will be able to use the house this summer if all goes well.
We were delighted that my son and daughter-in-law were able to drive home at Thanksgiving. It was the first Thanksgiving they have been home in 4 years. Joe is coming home tomorrow for Christmas this year. Double treat. We'll have Christmas Eve dinner (a few fishes) and then go to Peg's for sausage and meatballs, which had to wait until Midnight in the old days. Christmas dinner will be here with about 14 including my 2 favorite little ones, my son, daughter, and my cousin from DC. It'll be fine.
Its also 3 months since my brother died. I can't believe how much it has affected me. The first time I make anise biscotti and realized that I wouldn't give him any, I was really upset. I think of him often with an emptyness. I guess in part he was the last link to the past--my parents, aunts and uncle et al. I really feel alone. In-laws don't make up for the loss even though I like them. Each year my brother and his family come for homemade ravioli during the Holidays. We will continue the tradition but it will be odd without him!
No comments:
Post a Comment