I waited with much anticipation for the
movie “The Normal Heart” to premier on HBO (May 2014). I knew that the cast comprised some of my
favorite people and topic of the early AIDS crisis is important. The play had been on Broadway in 2011 with
Ellen Barkin and Jim Parson in the cast.
Mark Ruffalo and Julia Roberts were in the film and always give good performances.
When the movie aired, I was amazed at
the number of Broadway people who were in the cast: Joe Mantello, Dennis Leary, B. D. Wong,
Steven Spinella, and Alfred Molina have all appeared on Broadway and won Tony
Awards. Jim Parsons did 2 plays on
Broadway and has won 4 or 5 Emmys for “The Big Bang”. The actress playing the woman, who
volunteered to work the phones, had been a member of the original cast of “Into
the Woods.” She played Little Red Riding
Hood! She also appeared in the NYC Opera
production of “A Little Night Music” as Frederica and was in the original cast
of “Sunday in the Park with George.” This
was an excellent ensemble cast who all did great work. (Remember that I am prejudiced. I believe that Broadway actors are more talented and better than those who have never done theater.)
There were several new (to me) actors in the
movie. However, the one who was
unrivaled in his performance was the fellow who played Felix. He was superb! Who was he? I had never seen him before.
Google provided the answer. He was Matt Bomer. He was currently in a TV show called, “White
Collar,” which debuted in 2009. Thanks
to Netflix the first four seasons of the show were available. I watched the pilot episode and was hooked!
The pilot was one of the best initial
episodes I’ve ever watched. The cast
worked so well together and had such chemistry that one might think that they
had worked together for years. The two
leads, Tim McKay and Matt Bomer, had great chemistry. The show was well-written and well done. The
locations showed New York at its best.
They found locations in the city that revealed the magnificent
architecture and beautiful parks that populate the city. It was an overall good show.
Meanwhile, I continued to pursue another
favorite activity. I love to search You Tube for any clips about
Broadway. There are even complete
videos of some musicals and clips of stellar performances by top stars. Other good
clips to watch are the Kennedy Center Honors for the various Broadway composers.
While watching the tribute to Jerry Herman, which included Angela Lansbury,
Chita Rivera and Carol Channing, I had a surprise. They announced Mathew Bomer and Kelly O’Hara
who sang a duet from “Hello, Dolly”. Bomer
could sing beautifully! I was totally surprised
by his versatility.
I then become interested in what else he
did. I learned that he was on the “Guiding
Light” in the beginning and had a brief role on “All My Children”. Soaps are good training for actors. They have to learn lines and the changes
quickly under pressure. The acting tends
to be good. He was also in a short TV
series (Traveler) that wasn’t very good. The show was another governmental
conspiracy idea and really had no place to go.
It lasted 6 episodes and ran before “White Collar.”
He was also on a show called “Chuck”. He starred in “Traveler” a short-lived
government conspiracy story that had nowhere to go and had a role in “Tru
Calling”. He has appeared in a few movies.
Most so far have not been very good, though “Magic Mike” was financially
successful and prompted a sequel. Bomer’s
role however was brief. His big “number”
ended on the cutting room floor.
Presumably, his agent arranged for a bigger and better role in the
sequel. His other film roles were either
brief or forgettable.
The press made a big deal about his losing a lot of weight for the second half of the role. That was important and I’m sure helped his portrayal. However, his scene with Alfred Molina was wonderfully done. His deathbed scene with Mark Ruffalo was incredibly touching and amazingly well done. He deserved that Emmy.
Thanks to Netflix, I was able
to watch 4 seasons of “White Collar” in a very short period of time .(between June and September). Binge
watching a series is much different than waiting for next year to see what
happened. Binge watching, I realized,
immerses one totally into the show without a break. It almost becomes an obsession. Living with the characters continually, makes
them very real. I guess the parallel is
watching a soap opera every day. The
characters are real and are part of one’s life as family is! It was no help that the characters were so
likeable and well written. (I remember my mother being in tears, because one of her favorite soap opera characters died!)
After watching the first 4 seasons, I
had to wait until Season 5 was available in September.
I finally found it on MGo and we were able to binge watch that season
also. This time, however, we did it a
bit more slowly. This November the sixth
and last season aired. It was
abbreviated to 6 episodes, one of which they wasted by introducing a character
from the past who had no relevance to the season’s plot line and just took up
time! However, the show ended reasonably
well. Fans, however, were very upset by
the abbreviated season. I agree that the
show deserved a full 13 episode final season.
But, money rules the network. Despite the loyalty of most fans, the ratings had fallen between season 4 and 5. Also, I believe that Bomer wanted out to try his hand in films.
Bomer has classic good looks. He is one of the handsomest men on TV. He reminds one of George Clooney or Cary
Grant—timeless good looks that age very well. (Think of Cary Grant in his 70’s.) Bomer sings, dances, and acts well. He has great potential if he makes good
choices and gets good offers. He would
do well on Broadway, too. Time will tell
how successful he becomes. Without the continual
exposure of television, he could easily be forgotten.
Fortunately, the Hollywood Foreign Press honored Bomer with a Golden Globe. The Screen Actors Guild does not have a category for supporting actor in a TV movie. That is bizarre. One would expect the actors union to find every and any opportunity to honor one of their own.
Fortunately, the Hollywood Foreign Press honored Bomer with a Golden Globe. The Screen Actors Guild does not have a category for supporting actor in a TV movie. That is bizarre. One would expect the actors union to find every and any opportunity to honor one of their own.
After several weeks, I rewatched the final episode. I can be a slow learner and seeing the episode again was informative. The crucial scenes obviously were at the end. Peter visits Mozzie in the park and they discuss their reactions to Neal's death. Peter invites Mozzie to visit to meet baby Neal.
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot of supposition here. Mozzie finds obscure communication from Neal--possibly the address and key to the storage locker, just as Mozzie left the address to the German treasure for Neal. Mozzie realizes that Neal is alive. He leaves the playing card in the locker after seeing it. He then visits Peter on his way to Paris. He may have left the bottle of wine on Peter's front step on his arrival. Mozzie tells Peter that he doesn't stay in the same place for long (a lie since he has been in NYC for years!) Peter finds his key to the locker and realizes that Neal is alive in Paris. FIN.