I know so little about my grandparents. They are vague historical figures about whom
I know some facts but little else. I
think I know more about real historical people than I do about them. I’ve
written about Grandmother Lumia before. I
will have to write about Grandmother Amodio another time.
Peter Lumia died in 1926.
He was rarely the topic of conversation among my Lumia relatives and
they never sat around and told stories about their childhood or their parents. I think they did refer to him as “Pop.”
He was born in Villalba, Sicily in 1863. I can’t be sure when he came to America. There are 3 Pietro Lumias who arrived between
1891 and 1892 and the manifests give no specific helpful information. At some point he went to Punxsutawney,
Pennsylvania. He probably worked in the
coal mines. The next time I can find any
information on him is my father’s birth certificate. My father was born in NYC in January
1900. Pietro was “married” to Margarita
Vitrano who had a daughter, Rosaria Mastrosimone. Rosaria was born in Punxsutawney on Feb 2,
1897. Her father was Vincenzo
Mastrosimone. Margarita and Pietro
remained together until his death in 1926.
They had 5 additional children.
He worked for the railroad, apparently.
About 1903 they moved to Trenton, NJ.
Pietro had a brother who also lived in Trenton (see The Uncle,
previously posted).
I put the word “married” in quotes because they probably
never married or did so, on his death bed.
Whether Margarita married Vincenzo Mastrosimone is also unknown. I learned that they were not married in 1986
from my mother’s sister while we were attending a wedding. Until then, it was a well-kept secret. That’s also when I learned that Aunt Sarah
(Rosaria) was my Dad’s half-sister.
Pietro also had “cousins” in NYC. Their exact relationship was unknown but I
was able to search records and determine their relationship. Pietro was the son of Giuseppe Lumia,
minore. Giuseppe had an older brother,
named Giuseppe Lumia, maggiore. They
actually named 2 sons, “Joe”. The elder
was “Big Joe” (Giuseppe maggiore) and the younger, “Little Joe” (Giuseppe
minore). All the official records in the
town also used that nomenclature. The NY
Lumias are descendants of Giuseppe maggiore.
The elder Lumias, Angelo, Alfonso, Santo, Giuseppe are all first cousins
to Pietro. Out of respect my father and
his siblings called them “Zio”. Their
children and my father were second cousins.
So they were more closely related than I had expected, or they knew,
themselves.
Frank Amodio died in 1939.
His children also spoke very little about him. However, the few times they did mention him,
the comments were very different. Mildred,
Phil and Joe rarely said anything negative about him, though Mildred was not as
fond of her mother. My mother did not
like her father for several reasons.
First, he was not interested in his children’s education. Second, she thought he was lazy, did not work
hard enough for his family, and drank too much.
Third, she sided with her mother who was never happy in the US. Aunt Mildred said that Mom was their mother’s
favorite. Who knows? My parents moved in with the Amodios during
the depression and helped financially, since my Dad was working steadily for
the NJ State Prison. After Grand mom
died in 1935 my parents moved into their own home. I don’t know the reason, but have always
assumed hat Mom did not get along with her Dad or with her teen-aged siblings.
Although the custom called for me to be named after Frank
Amodio, I think the major reason Mom followed the tradition was that “people
would talk!” She had no choice about
naming my brother for his paternal grandfather.
Peter said he wanted me named “James.”
So that’s my middle name.
Frank was born on December 1, 1874 in Bisignano. His mother was 40 when he was born. His father was 48. They were married just before Frank’s
birth. Frank’s name actually was Fedele
Francesco. He was apparently named for
his uncle Fedele Amodio who had died in 1869. Fedele was 9 years older than Giuseppe
and they must have been very fond of each other. Fedele had at least 3 children: Francesca (b @1851), Peter (b. 1856) and
Vincenzo (b 1860). No one knows about
their childhood but their father died young, their grandmother was already
gone, and their grandfather, Carlo Amodio, died a couple of months later. Apparently, Giuseppe stepped up and helped
raise Fedele’s children.
When Giuseppe’s son was born, I think Peter was living with
his uncle. Peter married in 1881 and had 4 children: Luigi, Rosario, Maria Francesca and Maria
Concetta. Luigi died in 1891. The three other children immigrated to the
USA and settled in Trenton. When Rosario
arrived in 1908, he looked up his relatives.
When Frank’s family came in 1913,
my mother always remembered, Rosario calling Frank “Zio” and Frank referring to
Rosario as “neppo.” These terms of
endearment confused further generations about their exact relationship. However, to me they suggested that Frank grew
up with Peter and Peter taught his children to refer to Frank as “zio.” Although this honorific is frequently used
loosely, I believe in this case it reflected a real closeness in the family.
I grew up knowing the Rosario’s children. Rosario died young, leaving a widow with
several children. My mother thought his
widow, Josephine, was an amazing woman who did a great job taking care of her
family. Oddly, Rosario’s sister Maria
Francesca lost her husband about the same time and she too was left with a
large family. Again Mom was proud of her
cousin’s ability to handle her adversity.
I went to school with one of Rosario’s grandsons. We are still friends today. I met a granddaughter of Maria Francesca
through work and learned that her sister was Joe’s Kindergarten teacher. I mentioned the teacher to Mom who quickly pointed
out that the family was cousins!
When I started my genealogic research on the Amodios, I
concentrated on the exact relationship between Rosario’s and Frank’s ancestors. Initially, I “assumed” that Rosario was in fact
Frank’ nephew. However, Frank was an
only child! Maybe Giuseppe had been
married before? I could find no evidence
of a previous marriage. If his wife had
died, he would have been listed as a “widower” at his remarriage.
Rosario’s birth record, listed his Dad as Pietro! That was logical as Rosario’s son was Peter,
but provided no help. Peter’s birth
record listed his Dad as Fedele, son of Carlo.
Carlo was also Giuseppe’s father.
So Fedele and Giuseppe were brothers and their children were first
cousins!
|
Siblings
|
Fedele
|
Giuseppe
|
|
First Cousins
|
Pietro
|
Fedele Francesco
|
|
Second Cousins
|
Rosario & Maria Francesca
|
Rose (Mom)
|
|
Third Cousins
|
Mary, Mildred, Peter, John et al
|
Frank, (me)
|
|
Fourth Cousins
|
Bill Zoda (my friend), Jane Latini (Joe’s teacher)
|
Margaret & Joe (my children)
|
|
Fourth Cousins Once removed
|
Children of Bill and Jane
|
My children (I don’t have grandchildren)
|
I always thought Frank was unusual since he traveled to the
USA 3 times before deciding to stay permanently. Apparently, many Italian men also traveled
back and forth several times before settling down.
Frank came to America in 1899, a few days after his first
child was born. He lived with his in-laws, Frank and Rose Viteritto. His father died in 1903. Frank returned to Italy the following
year. His wife became pregnant and had
their second daughter in August 1905 (my mother). Frank returned to America in 1906 taking with
him photos of his mother and his wife and daughters. He again stayed with the Viterittos. He worked at Roebling’s. He stayed until 1909. On return to Italy, his
wife again became pregnant and delivered their 3rd daughter, Maria
Bambina, in Jan 1910. He returned to Trenton
in August 1911. Again he lived with the
Viterittos. In 1913 he sent for his
family, who arrived in May. Initially,
they lived with the Viterittos before renting their own home in
Chambersburg. In the 1920’s , they
bought a house at 804 Roebling Avenue.
No comments:
Post a Comment