I do not know where that word, Zitzi, originates. In our family it only refers to 2
people: Zitzi Raffie and Zitzi
Carmen. Zitzi Raffie was Mom’s older
sister and Zitzi Carmen was her husband.
Raffie wa born in 1899.
She was 6 years older than Mom but always seemed as if she were from an
older generation. In Italy she attended school and could read and write
Italian. Although she did speak English, it was with an accent and she seemed
more comfortable speaking Italian.
Through the 1940’s she wore her hair long and braided into a bun. I remember watching her put on her hat to go
out. She used a very long hat pin and
since I could not understand that the pin just anchored the hat to her hair, I
assumed it went into her head. Therefore,
women had softer heads than men.
She was 14 when she came to America. I don’t
know anything about her initial experiences.
I do know that there was certain pasta that she would never eat or
serve. When the family traveled
steerage, a man cooked that pasta but was usually seasick and vomited. That was one of Zitzi’s worst memories of the
trip.
In 1917 she married Carmen Aiello who was also from
Bisignano. They were married for 60 years and had 6 children, 4 boys and 2
girls. Her two oldest were born the same
years as Grandmother had her last two 2 children..
Their oldest was named Frank. He was the best looking of the 4 boys and was
named after both his grandfathers. For
some unknown reason he committed suicide in October 1941, age 23. His parents were home when he did it. Mom said at the coroner’s inquest everyone
decided that Frank felt his “work was done.”
I was only 6 months old and have no memory of him or the event. With the hindsight of the late 20th
C., I have always wondered what the real reason was. Could this handsome young man from an old
fashioned Italian family have realized that he was “gay” and just could not
face it? We will never know.
I was born just before America entered WW2. Mom went to work at Westinghouse, as part of
the war effort and I stayed with Zitzi. There is a photo of me napping on her
couch which was covered with newspapers to protect it from me. I’m about a year old.
I spent a lot of time with Lucy when she came home from
school. She had a windup phonograph and
I always wanted her to play it. I rarely
gave her time for herself after school.
I expected her undivided attention.
When her brother, Cousin Petie, was home from the war on R&R he
spent a lot of time with me. I’ve
written about each of them before and about how important each was to me at
that stage. I still joke about things
“Cousin :Petie taught me, like not walking behind a parked car, where the driver
can’t see you or being careful crossing streets..
Mom stopped working when the war ended but returned to work
about 1947 or 48, this time at HD Lee’s.
She had worked there as a teenager.
This was in preparation for Peter’s going to college. Mom’s salary while he was in college went to
him. Initially, I went to Zizi’s after
school. However, Dad changed his hours
at work so he could be home at lunch time.
Both Zitzi Raffie and Zitzi Carmen were good cooks. Zitzi Carmen made stuffed mushroom and Margaret
with slight modification makes them for holidays. They also made bread and if you were lucky
enough to visit when they had made a fresh batch, you went home with a
loaf. She also made the anise biscotti
that she knew I liked.
They were always special to each of their nieces and
nephews who were always happy to visit them. Zitzi Carmen spoke with a thick
Italian accent and usually almost entirely in Italian. None of the nieces or
nephews spoke Italian but we always understood him. He told a story about me. When I was little
he asked me to get his shoes for him. I
refused. When he got them he “found” a
nickel inside and showed it to me. After
that I was always willing to get them for him.
I doubt I ever found a nickel, though.
There was another sister born in Italy who came to America
in 1913. Her name was Maria
Bambina. She was born January 2,
1910. There are no pictures of her. She died of spinal meningitis December 10,
1917 and is buried separately in Our Lady of Lourdes Cemetery. I doubt that the head stone still exists.
Uncle Joe was the only boy and was born the year after
Grandmother came to America. I am sure
he was always treated specially by his sisters.
He was always good to them.
As a child he apparently did errands for the people in the
pool hall on the corner of Roebling and Anderson. He was a fast runner too. He did graduate from high school and reportedly
the Felcones were willing to pay for him to go to college but he refused. Eventually, he worked for the state and was a
bartender at several of the big hotels in Trenton which were very fancy in
those days.
He met his wife in Atlantic City. Lillian Baricelli was from Camden from a
large family. They immigrated to the US
via Philadelphia. She too was the first child born in the US. They came from the next town over from
Bisignano! They married and moved into
the house on Roebling Avenue. The first child, Frank was born in 1942.
I have limited memories of that house. I remember Frank and I playing on the 3rd
floor. We “painted” a chair with water
and of course, it spilled over my overalls.
Aunt Lil hung them on the coal stove in the kitchen to dry. In 1945 Uncle Joe was about to be
drafted. So he arranged for his wife and
son to move back to Camden near her family and he sold the house. That is when
Phil came to live with us. However, the
war ended and he was not drafted. They
unfortunately had no place to live. They
moved into the Donnelly Apartments on Southern and Brunswick Avenue. They lived there until about 1950 after
having 2 more sons, Joe and John. They
then moved to DeCue Village in Hamilton on Independence Avenue.
I spent a lot of time in that house and they spent a lot of
time in ours. When their apartment was
being painted, they moved in with us.
Uncle Joe bar tended on New Year’s Eve many times and they spent that
Holiday with us. We also went to the
shore together. At Christmas Aunt Lil
would come and bake cookies with my Mom.
Aunt Mildred was 13 years younger than Mom. Her real name was Carmela. I don’t know why Carmelas all became
Mildreds. She apparently was a very pretty little girl and Mom liked making
clothes for her. Grandmother died May 2,
1935. At that time Mom, Dad and Peter
were living with the Amodios. Mom tried
to become the mother figure which Mildred resented. She was to graduate from high school and wear
a white dress. My Mom was always
concerned about “what would people think” and argued that Mildred was in
mourning and could not possibly wear a white dress. I know they fought but I don’t know who
won. Mom and Dad moved out sometime afterwards. I think it was later in 1935. They bought their house in 1937 with a 10
year mortgage and I remember they being happy that the mortgage was paid off..
Mildred worked in Lee’s for a while. She worked with my Lumia aunts who were
always fighting. Mildred said she had to
be careful to whom she said “hello” first.
While working at Lee’s she met Anthony Scott. They married about 1940. I’ve never seen a picture and I know that Mom
and Dad did not go to the wedding.
Initially, they lived with Tony’s mom.
I vaguely remember visiting them there once. Later they moved into a house with Tony’s
sister, Stella and her husband, Pat.
Mildred and Tony had 2 children, Tink (Francis) and Patty.
Stella was a loud, coarse woman. My Dad could not stand her and dreaded
visiting there. She doted on Tink and is
responsible for his nickname. She said
he had a cute “tinker.” She smoked constantly
and always had an excuse to get out of doing anything around the house. It was all up to Mildred. Eventually, Mildred and Tony bought their own
home on Bert Avenue.
Uncle Tony died May 2, 1977 of pancreatic cancer. It was one month to the day from the
diagnosis. We saw Mildred
occasionally. When Mom died Carolyn and
I stopped there first to tell her and invited her to come and help pick out a
dress etc. With Mom gone, Mildred worked
hard to keep the family together. We
started to have a 3 day Thanksgiving Holiday.
Wednesday evening was dinner at Aunt Mildred’s with either homemade
ravioli or gnocchi. Frank Amodio and his
family were there along with Tink, Patty, their families and us along with Phil
and Lucy. Thanksgiving was at Patty’s. I
brought desserts. Friday was at our
house for a soup supper!
Mildred developed colon cancer but fought for quite a while
before succumbing to it. Before she died she called to complain that we hadn’t
been to see her. There had been a major
snow storm but as soon as the roads were passable we visited her.
Aunt Phil was the youngest of the Amodio children. She was born in 1920, the same year as
Zitzi’s second son, Joe. She grew up
with the Aiello children. Someone said
that when Zitzi wanted her children out of the house she told them to go to
their Grandmother’s and Grandmother would send her children to their sister’s.
Phil was always told she was “slow”. She was about some things but was crafty
enough to use this as an excuse to not do what she did not want to do. “I don’t know how” was her motto.When she came to live with us, Mom said that she had a dream in which Grandmother told her to “take care of her sister.” Dad never objected. She was a ready baby sitter which gave them freedom.
She and I were movie buffs.
We went to the movies almost every Friday evening and many times on
Sunday as well. As Mom became more
unable to move about Phil took care of her.
With Aunt Angie living with Mom King, Margaret thought that all
grandmothers lived with their sister!
After Mom died, Phil developed colon cancer and had surgery. She stayed in the house alone for a while but we realized that the situation was not working. After her surgery she went into a nursing home and was happy for a while. However, an Alzheimer patient knocked her down and she broke a hip. She had surgery and returned to the nursing home. Unfortunately, her cancer returned and perforated her colon. They did surgery but she started to develop sepsis and required huge amounts of fluids to maintain her blood pressure. She was aware and shook her head as if to say “no more.” I spoke with the surgeon and we agreed to let her go.
No comments:
Post a Comment