I wrote earlier about my father’s sisters whom I
collectively called “the Aunts.” I
always thought of them as a group. My
grandfather had a brother who immigrated to America and lived in Trenton. He died in 1945. I never met him. The family when they referred to him, called
him “the uncle”. The reference never
sounded friendly. He was never Uncle Joe
and I do not ever remember them speaking of visiting him, etc. Aunt Frances remembered the 2 daughters,
Frances and Catherine but did not know what happened to them. I’ve tried to ask older cousins about him but
have never received any information. The
best I can guess is that some family conflict arose when my grandfather died in
1926. Although they have adjoining
cemetery plots as far as I know there was little or no interaction between the
families, during the 1930's and 1940's.
My grandfather, Peter Lumia came to America about
1891. Actually, there are several Peter
Lumias who arrived about the same time and the Ellis Island database provides
no help in differentiating them. Several
of his first cousins also emigrated and mostly settled in NYC. Three of his brothers came to America. Salvatore died before 1918 and his brother
Liborio, who arrived in 1905, married his widow (Teresa Plumeri). I do not know what happened to Liborio and
his wife. Joe arrived in 1901. In 1907, he married a widow, Marietta Riggi
in NYC. Marietta had 3 children who
lived to adulthood. They were Rosaria
who died in Niagara Falls in 1963, Ignazio who died in the Bronx in 1975 and
Maria who died in Trenton in 1990. After
Joe and Marietta married they had 2 more daughters: Frances (b1907) and Catherine (b1909).
Joe and his family lived on Miller Street for most of
their lives. Their house was around the
corner from Aunt Sarah and near the Church of Saint Paul. However, their relationships with Peter and
his family and even with Marietta’s children were bizarre. Joe and Marietta died in 1945 and 1946
respectively and are buried next to Peter and Margarita in Holy Sepulcher
Cemetery.
The daughters Frances and Catherine are mentioned in
the Census records for 1920 and 1930 as living in the house at 122 Miller
Street. One sister is mentioned in the
1940 census. Also living with Joe and
Marietta in 1940 on Miller Street were Marietta’s daughter Maria, her husband
Quintilio Casciani and their several children.
I had the opportunity to get to know Maria Casciani and
her daughters when one of them had surgery at DHLC. At some point I asked Maria’s daughters
Marie, and Jean if they remembered their aunts Frances and Catherine, since
they lived with at least one of them in 1940 along with their
grandparents. They had no memory of
their aunts and little memory of their grandparents.
Later, through Ancestry, I learned of the existence of
Ignazio and his family in New York. His family
did not know about Maria and Quintilio Casciani and their family. Yet Ignazio and Maria apparently came to
America together in 1907, arriving in September to go to Joe Lumia on Philips
Avenue in Trenton.
I have tried to ask cousins about this Lumia Uncle,
but no one knows anything or even remembers them. My brother who had a poor memory for family
trivia remembered nothing about this great-aunt and uncle. Recently I ask Stefano Immordino, who grew up
on Nassau Street around the corner from Joe and Marietta. He remembered nothing also. (Technically, he
was not related to Joe Lumia. His mother
was a Mastrosimone and not a Lumia.) How
Maria Casciani and her brother Ignazio became estranged is a separate
unknowable issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment