Maria Raffaela

Maria Raffaela
Great-Grandmom

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Workshop at Hudson Valley

I just spent a week in Greenville, NY at a workshop with Paul Levielle, an excellent portrait artist.  He is skilled in water color, pastels, and oils and taught all 3 simultaneously.  The week was excellent.  The painting facilty was fine and the other students were a delight.  Except for the dinners, the week was great.  I learned a lot about the use of color in portraits. I only hope that I can retain some of it.  I had never used alizarin crimson anywhere but in florals.  Its a great dark flesh tone, particularly when mixed with burnt sienna!  One can even use lavender as flesh shadows!  That was exciting and liberating for a left brain person.

Will publish some of my attempts during the week--I started 6 portraits, which is Paul's teaching technique and finally got to finish the last one (#7).

No comments:

Post a Comment