Maria Raffaela

Maria Raffaela
Great-Grandmom

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Great perfornances


I have written about what I think are the best musicals and some of the plays I’ve seen over the past 62 years.  I thought I might try to write about some of the great performances I’ve seen as well.
I did see a play called “Royal Hunt of the Sun”.  It dramatized the meeting of Pizarro and Emperor Atahuallpa of the Aztecs.  David Carradine played Atahuallpa and Christopher Plummer was Pizarro.  It was a fascinating play about the clash of religion and civilizations.  The two gave great performances.
The first play I saw was “Teahouse of the August Moon.” David Wayne won a Tony for playing the Japanese interpreter.  These were the days when Asian actors were never considered for these roles.  Wayne however, was brilliant.
Charlie Ruggles played a grandfather in “The Pleasure of His Company.”  He just sat there through most of the play and stole the show.  The play was an elegant drawing room comedy beautifully done but he was stellar.
I have had the pleasure of seeing Brian Bedford in a couple of comedies.  He is an amazing actor who can create a character and be terribly funny by raising an eyebrow or flicking his finger.  His production of “The Importance of Being Ernest” in which he played Lady Bracknell was perfect.  Every aspect of the production was perfect including the rest of the cast.  He was superb!
I’ve mentioned before Jeremy Irons’ performance in “A Little Night Music.”  He changed the play with his performance.  The play was now about Fredric.  The story and the characters revolved around Fredric.  Desiree was no longer the central character.  Irons’ performance was that remarkable.
I have seen “A Delicate Balance” 3 times.  The first time was in Chicago with Cronyn and Tandy.  The second was on Broadway and was a perfect production.  The cast included Rosemary Harris, George Grizzard and Elaine Stritch.  The performances were brilliant and the production wonderful.  The third production was at McCarter with a good cast but neither the first nor the third viewing could compare with the Broadway production.
I’ve seen several plays more than once.  I had the pleasure of seeing Kim Hunter and her husband Robert Emmett in “On Golden Pond.”  Since it was at the Lumia Theater, we visited with them afterwards.  Ms. Hunter was a tiny elderly lady and it was hard to believe that she passionately scratched Marlon Brando’s back in Streetcar.
I told Mr. Emmett that I liked his portrayal of Norman Thayer much better than Henry Fonda’s.  Fonda played a nasty old man.  Mr. Emmett played a more likable codger.  He replied. “We all make our choices.”  I had never thought about it that way.  But, of course it is true and explains why it can be fun and interesting to see different actors play the same role.
Glenn Close was nastier as Norma Desmond than Betty Buckley. Betty’s Norma was must more fragile and it was sad when she lost it at the end.  Bernadette Peters was the only one I saw who played Madame Rose in “Gypsy” as a sex kitten.  Merman was brash, Lansbury was reserved and strict.  But Peters realized that Rose had married several times and kept Herbie close with her seductive ways.  I mentioned Jeremy Irons above.  In every other production I’ve seen, the play centers on Desiree.  Irons’ performance changed that and gave it a fresh approach.
Ethel Merman’s greatest role and best performance was a Madame Rose.  She did not win a Tony that year.  She lost to the saccharine performance of Mary Martin in “The Sound of Music.”  Gypsy remains one of the best musical ever written and a great role for a middle aged actress.  Elaine Stritch performed at Café Carlyle regularly.  Her last appearances centered on the music of Sondheim, one song at a time.  In a documentary, she sang part of Rose’s Turn from Gypsy.  At 88, I thought that was gutsy.  It is an exhausting number.  She did comment that Rose was one role she never got to play.  The timing was never right.

Performing “I’m Still Here” from Follies is a great way to see different actors perform the same bit.  Ann Miller was triumphant.  Elaine Stritch made it her theme song with wit and sass.  Christine Baranski (on Youtube) is frantic and dynamic.  Elaine Paige was sophisticated and reserved. 
Dozens have sung “Send in the Clowns.” However, the definitive performance was done by Judi Dench in the London revival.  She is devastated by Fredric’s rejection.

No comments:

Post a Comment