Maria Raffaela

Maria Raffaela
Great-Grandmom

Sunday, November 24, 2013

November 22, 1963



I remember sitting at one of the picnic tables outside Hutchinson Commons with friends from college.  I was in Med School and most of them were in various graduate biological science programs.  Someone walked by and said something about Kennedy being shot.  We really did not believe that it was anything serious.  Someone told a joke about Kennedy collecting bowling balls to make a rosary for the Statue of Liberty which would now be called “Our Lady of the Harbor.”  We finished lunch and hurried off to class.  I had anatomy lab nearby and joined my group around our cadaver.

Very quickly the class learned that Kennedy had indeed been shot in Dallas and had died!  The entire class was silent.  A few people continued dissecting but most just sat quietly talking and thinking about what a horrible, unimaginable thing had happened.

I think I’ve always been interested in politics.  One of my earliest memories is listening to the radio and hearing hushed voices and hoof beats marching slowing.  Later, I realized that I had listened to FDR’s funeral procession in Washington in April 1945. Arthur Godfrey was describing the procession. 

I remember listening to the GOP and Democratic conventions in 1952.  By 1956, I was really interested.  I followed the nomination of Stevenson who then threw the nomination for Vice-President to the convention.   I had read an article in Life about a group of Senators.  Included were Theodore Francis Green of RI who chaired the Foreign Relations Committee and was in his mid-90s, several other senior senators and a young man they called “The Boy,” John Fitzgerald Kennedy.  He was a young dynamic RC Irish American from Massachusetts.  When he ran for the VP nomination it was exciting.  No Catholic candidate had gotten that far since Al Smith in 1928.  He lost, of course.  But in 1960, I stayed up until the early hours to hear Wyoming make his nomination for President final.  I also stayed up very late to hear his acceptance speech.

Election night was difficult. There was only 1 TV in Burton Judson Courts for about 400 students.  I don’t really remember watching TV much.  My memories of the election come mainly from Theodore White’s, “The Making of the President 1960.”  I did watch the inauguration in January and was delighted with the new President.  He was everything I thought a President should be, intelligent, thoughtful, well-spoken, witty, good-looking, charismatic, etc.

Various commentators have tried to determine why JFK was so well remembered since his death.  After 8 years of Eisenhower who was everyone’s “grandfather,” it was exciting to have a President who was everyone’s son and brother.  Nixon was everyone’s lawyer and therefore, easily fired.  JFK’s sophisticated, intelligent, cultured wife did not hurt either.  The White House had gone from Midwestern blah to eastern sophistication and culture.  Additionally, JFK was superb on TV.  He was the first President who knew how to use the new media.  With almost daily coverage and the dramatic increase in televisions in homes, he became part of everyone’s family.  When he died we lost a family member.  The minute by minute coverage of the funeral left a permanent image on the American mind.  When Jackie Kennedy died, at least one commentator remarked that she held the country together during that weekend.  Her courage and poise forced everyone else to behavior similarly.  If she could get through this, so could every American.

Only recently have I accepted that Oswald shot Kennedy alone.  There was no second gunman in Dealey Plaza or on or behind the grassy knoll.  However, I have trouble believing that killing Kennedy was solely Oswald’s idea.  Maybe if, Ruby had not killed him, I might accept that he acted totally alone.  But, since Ruby silenced Oswald 2 days later, no one can prove that Oswald acted alone and that no one helped him in any way.  Nor can they prove that Ruby was not hired to silence him forever.

Six others were hanged for conspiring with John Wilkes Booth.  Garfield’s assassin was an insane individual who stalked the President.   Garfield had no protection as he stood talking to someone in front of the train station.  Besides, Garfield died from inept, stupid medical care, not from the bullet wound. While British physicians were using aseptic techniques, American doctors did not believe in Llster’s germ theories.  I know little of McKinley’s assassination and cannot comment.

Friday was the 50th anniversary of JFK’s death.  Television covered that day extensively this year, showing clips and reviewing events.  Bill Maher did a wonderful tribute to JFK on his show, explaining why the Democrats like JKF and the Republicans idolize Reagan.  Tom Brokaw did a special asking prominent people where they were that day.  Anyone old enough knew exactly where they were.  Kathleen Parker in her column said that the assassination was in our “bones” and would never leave us.  I think for those of us alive in 1963 that is absolutely true.

There were two tributes from 1963 that they did not mention.  There was a TV show, entitled “That was the Week that was.”  It did an amazing tribute that week.  The second was the Herblock editorial cartoon that covered a full page in the Chicago Sun Times.  It showed Lincoln in his chair in the Memorial leaning forward with his head in his hands in total anguish!  It was devastating to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment