Maria Raffaela

Maria Raffaela
Great-Grandmom

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Reincarnation


I sometimes, possibly believe in reincarnation.  People are the only thing in nature that are not recycled.  In that way it makes sense that we return in another role.

The women’s adventure group went to a psychic once.  She talked about past lives.  But what she said as background made sense to me.  She told them that we tend to travel with the same people through our multiple lives.  Relationships and gender may change.  Your spouse may be a sibling, friend or parent of either sex in another life.  For me, this explains the deep friendships that some of us are lucky enough to have, some of which develop almost instantly. 

My son got off the plane in Maui and said that he had come home.  If anyone was a Polynesian in a previous life it is Joe.  I’ve often felt a great affinity for New England coastal towns and sea going sailing ships.  Maybe, I was a sea captain’s wife walking the widow’s walk waiting for the ship to return to port.

Red is my favorite color!  I’ve always imaged myself as a medieval Cardinal.  A nurse at the VA in NY instinctively called me, “Your Eminence.”  At my medical school interview with a strict Catholic dean, he asked me why I didn’t join the priesthood.  I did not tell him that it was because I would not get a red hat at ordination.

The image of being a cardinal persisted until I visited the Palace of the Doge in Venice.  Venice was a republic.  The Doge was elected by the Senators and served for life.  The position was not hereditary.  The palace walls were covered with portraits of Doges with their senators.  The Venetian Senators wore robes of RED!  I realized that I felt at home there and thought for sure that I was a Venetian Senator and probably not a cardinal.

Another reason I think about being a Senator derives from a personality system called the Enneagram.  It is apparently quite old.  There are several “types” of people.  Charlie Dennis is definitely a “one.”  A one is a strong leader and director.  I am a type six.  I am a consigliore.  I am the advisor behind the throne.  This fits my personality and my career, totally.  In fact at one time as a teen I thought I would like to be a US Senator.  I never thought about being the president—just a senator. Senators advise and consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment