I love watching old movies.
I can watch them many times because they are well made and well-acted. During the past weeks I watched for the umpteenth
time To Catch a Thief and Marie Antoinette. I also watched a love story with Liz Taylor, Vittorio Gassman, and Louis Calhern.
Cary Grant was 50 when he made Thief. He was still very handsome. In fact he was still handsome at 80! He had that classic good looks that never go away. George Clooney is similar as he approachs 50. He too has classic good looks that will last him all his life. Matt Bomer also is incredibly good looking. I doubt that he will
become as big a star of either of them, however.
Matt sings, does comedy and is an excellent dramatic actor. Watch any episode of White Collar or his performance in "The Normal Heart." But he needs better and wider exposure.
Comparing Liz and Grace is a different story. Grace Kelly (aka HSH Princess Grace) was a
classy blonde with good looks but compared with Elizabeth in the same period
she is a distant second. Nothing matches
that flawless beauty with those amazing eyes.
Watch any of Liz's movies from the 1950’s ( Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, A Place
in the Sun, Raintree County etc.) and you will see the most beautiful woman in
the world.
Marie Antoinette stars some of the classic actors of period:
Norma Shearer, Ty Power, John Barrymore,
Robert Morley, Joseph Schildkraut, etc.
Again the costumes are amazing.
If ever someone wanted to colorize a movie that would be the one. The history is reasonably well done and accurate, too.
None of these movies had vampires, buildings blown up or
other crap that populate current movies.
They told stories that made sense, were well acted and had high
production values. Wonder why I like old
movies?
No comments:
Post a Comment